Saturday, October 2, 2010

Observation Break

Many of you who actually read this blog have emailed me with questions and comments that I would like to address here. It seems that everyone is surprised by how friendly everyone has been towards us here in India. To be honest, I have never felt so welcome anywhere in my entire life. If anyone's opinion of India changes by reading this blog in the next three months, then I consider my job well done. It truly is an amazing country.

As far as the daily lifestyle goes, here is a breakdown of where my money goes: $4 a night on housing, $7 a day on food, $3 a day on excursions. Yes, we have the ability to only spend $14 a day on everything we need. It also costs about $4 to travel by bus or train anywhere we want to go. I mean...it's ridiculous. Today I bought a bag of plantain chips and a coke at the train station for literally $0.37. If you are looking for a beautiful, inexpensive vacation with a small side of pleasant culture shock, then India is your place.

The sense of community amongst strangers here has really inspired us as a group. Everyone here takes care of each other, just out of principle. Random adults scold children for behaving badly or who approach us begging for money. Everyone greets everyone ALL THE TIME. You don't see people walking around lost on their Blackberrys, iPhones, or iPods. Indians actually communicate with one another from sunrise to sunset...it is a beautiful thing.

It is hotter than hell. Seriously. I am a walking sweatbag. That is all.

I have decided that you could create an abstract image by connecting the bug bites on my legs and feet.

There is no way around the fact that every train station smells like urine. No way around it.

I have become so complacent with the fact that animals roam the streets like they are people. I actually became visibly and verbally frustrated with a cow this morning. He was taking his sweet time in the hostel driveway and I verbally assualted him with a "come on buddy we got somewhere to be"... . Stray dogs own the streets of every city. Wild pigs roam around eating the garbage off the streets (no wonder we never see any garbage cans). In the mornings when I finish my daily banana, I find myself searching for a goat to feed the peel. Sometimes I just want to scream at the top of my lungs: "COME TO ME MY ANIMAL FRIENDS!"

We have become obsessed with Indian music; specifically the soundtrack from the Bollywood hit that we saw in Mumbai, Dabangg. To listen, please consult Missy's blog: http://heremethere.wordpress.com/

All in all, we are loving each day in India more and more and I hope you are too :)

1 comment:

  1. reading your blog after a long day of work and drinking tea. feeling very happy. thanks alysa :)

    ReplyDelete