Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Goodbye Retirement...Hello Jesus sandals

I have spent the last three weeks in retirement. I moved from Toronto, where I was living and working and I have been sleeping until 10am, running meaningless errands, and spending my evenings visiting with friends and family. I have gained roughly six pounds in less than a month and spent time in Washington DC, Costa Rica, Virginia Beach, and Annapolis, MD. Tomorrow I shed my retirement skin as my friend Missy and I leave for an "extended vacation". We will spend the entirety of September 10, 2010 in the air. I hope nothing too exciting happens on earth.

When I explain to people that I have decided to spend the rest of 2010 traveling, I am greeted with mixed responses. Some are truly elated at the prospect; others are indifferent, but feign enthusiasm with something along the lines of: "OMG THAT IS SO AMAZING!!!"; and most just chalk the idea up to the assumption that I am undergoing some sort of quarter life crisis. My favorite reaction is: "ohhhhhhh...like Eat. Pray. Love!" Not exactly.

We start our tour in Northern India and will eventually "loop around" Southeast Asia, ending in Southern India. I know that doesn't offer much, but we are blind to how this adventure will unfold ourselves. All I know is I have a bulging backpack, a pair of sandals that look like they could be worn by one of the 12 apostles, one of my best friends by my side, and an itch to eat some spicy noodles.

Missy and I met during our undergrad years at Virginia Tech. She was the cool, calm, and collected stylish California girl and I was the loud, blunt one wearing American Eagle, who drove South 3.5 hours to attend college. We ran in some of the same circles for four years and developed a friendship based on trust, compatibility, and beer. It wasn't until we spent five months as roommates in New York City that we became "the kind of friends who could travel together". She is artistic and kind, and will offer a perspective on this trip that I might have overlooked otherwise. Plus, her camera is WAY more advanced than mine, so I'll make sure to take credibility for some of her photos.

All in all, I am keeping this blog to document my travels. I am not trying to "find myself". I will not come home with a Chinese character tattoo. And I will by no means refrain from judgement these next few months. Let's be serious. Enjoy :)

6 comments:

  1. have an amazing time lys! my advice to you in earlier conversations was a. bring more than 5 pairs of underwear and b. bring a roll of duck tape. hopefully either/or inspired you. LOVE! everytime i walk by a indian restaurant in the city and get a whiff of curry i'll think of you fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason i think you should post before and after pictures for this trip. mainly b/c i'm assuming you'll come back with a different hair color and maybe a hindu dot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Laura - I need before and after photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. ENJOY YOSELF! :) Excited to keep up with you through your blogs :)

    <3 MO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lys! We loved the first report from Mumbai!What an experience you are having already! I am SOOOOO jealous. Sounds like you have already been exposed to the contrast in caste systems and cultures. I know the poverty and suffering are hard to see, but I am sure it will be life altering for you as well. Have a great time celebrating the elephant god of forgiveness. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lys, you continue to amaze me in your writing skills, drive for adventure, sense of humor and overall I am just in love with you. I will look forward to your blogs! Tell Missy I said hi : )

    ReplyDelete